This dish is a colorful side dish or a perfectly balanced main course. You can top it with guacamole and sour cream for extra southwestern flair.
Serving: One 1/4 pepper slice stuffed as a side dish, three 1/4 pepper slices stuffed as main dish per person.
3 Large Green Peppers, cut into quarters (12 individual pieces)
1/2 cup cooked rice
2 cans black beans, drained slightly
1 whole onion, chopped
1 can chopped tomato, Mexican style
1 Bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chop
1 tablespoon southwestern seasoning, or 2 teaspoons chili powder and 2 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons of prepared medium to spicy salsa
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 fresh tomato cubed
1. Set aside fresh green peppers, cubed fresh tomato and 1/2 cup grated cheese.
2. Mix all other ingredients together in large bowl.
3. Stuff each 1/4 slice of pepper with beans and rice mixture.
4. Add chopped tomato on top of each stuffed pepper
5. Sprinkle 1/2 cup reserved grated cheese over all the stuffed peppers
6. Set all stuffed peppers on large sheet pan to take to grill.
1.Place stuffed peppers on pre-heated GrillGrates (8 to 10 minutes), Low-Low/Med heat. For charcoal, preheat your GrillGrates after the red hot peak, gray coals only (8-10 minutes), lid closed.
2. Grill stuffed peppers 10-12 minutes on Low-Low/Med Heat, lid down. Timing depends on how hot your grill is.